It’s easy to get wrapped up in errands and household chores on your days off (so much laundry!) and even easier to be tempted to lounge around in front of the TV and call it a staycation, but studies show that spending time outdoors can help with depression, lowering blood pressure, and overall health and happiness. The next time you get a break from the grind, resist the urge to spend all of your time cooped up inside and step out into nature. Need a few suggestions? We’ve rounded up nine ways to make the most of the great outdoors any time of the year. So trade the screen time for sunscreen and head outside to try one of the below fun outdoor activities—the laundry can wait.
1. Take a hike: Pack a bag full of the essentials, like nutritious snacks, hydrating drinks (try XS™ Sports Twist Tubes – Fruit Punch or XS™ CocoWater Hydration Drink Mix – Pineapple/Coconut), and navigation tools, and then take off on an afternoon adventure. Discover new trails, look for local wildlife, and plan a scavenger hunt to get the kids involved.
2. Camp out in your backyard: Transform your yard into a campsite with the help from a few camping essentials: a bonfire, a tent, and all the supplies for making s’ mores. And the best part about camping at home? You can still use the indoor bathroom to get ready for bed, so don’t forget to brush your teeth with the Glister™ Multi-Action Fluoride Toothpaste!
3. Get gardening: If you’ve maxed out on space for indoor plants, start digging up a spot in your yard. Planting a few flowers you love or building a new raised herb garden are a few ways to make yard work less of a chore and much more enjoyable. Just don’t forget to reapply your essentials by Artistry™ Multi-Protect Lotion SPF 30 UVA/UVB.
4. Watch the sunset or sunrise: If you usually take the sunrise for granted, get up early and drive to a scenic overlook to start your day off in the best way. Not a morning person? Head out to watch the sunset instead. Turn your trunk bed into a cozy nook full of blankets or bring along a few foldout chairs to get comfy while you watch.
5. Go for a picnic: No worries if you don’t have a wicker basket and a red-and-white checkered blanket. All you really need for a picnic is a few sandwiches, snacks, and cold drinks, and of course, the perfect spot on the grass.
6. Play yard games with the family: A little bocce ball, cornhole, or lawn bowling are classic choices, but if you don’t have the supplies, make do with what you’ve got. Plan a fun relay race through the yard or build an obstacle course with materials you already have at home.
7. Workout outdoors: Give the stationary bikes and treadmills a rest! Move your workout outside to not only get your steps in but also get your vitamin D. Go for a bike ride, jog up a hill, and while you’re at it, check out the scenery you can’t get from an indoor gym. We also suggest keeping a few XS™ Sports Protein Bars nearby for the perfect after-workout snack.
8. Get in the water: Make a DIY slip-and-slide, swim a few laps, play pool volleyball—the options for water activities are endless. If you have access to a beach, lake, or river, try paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, or tubing. Just don’t forget to take your favorite XS hydration drink along for the adventure.
9. Play in the snow: No need to stay holed up inside even when the temps are cold outside. Take full advantage of the snowy months with fun winter sports. Can’t make it to the slopes? Go sledding (it’s even more fun if you make the sled yourself), ice skating, or put on some ice grips and take in the beautiful snowy scenery with a hike.
With all of these outdoor ideas, you’ll never have to settle for a boring staycation again. But no need to wait until your next break from work! Add a few of these activities into your everyday routine to really reap the benefits.