When Amway set out to redesign the labels for its Nutrilite™ vitamin and dietary supplements, it had a few goals in mind.
Like making labels more informative, attractive and easier to understand for everyone who uses or sells Nutrilite products.
“We wanted to strengthen the Nutrilite™ brand identity with globally consistent packaging, as well as make the labels more informative, attractive and easier to understand for everyone who uses or sells Nutrilite™ products,” said Jennifer Barko, the Amway brand manager who led the label update project.
“We knew the label graphics should represent the Nutrilite™ brand’s signature blend of nature and science. They should also clearly present key ingredients, the product’s function, our brand heritage and assurance of quality,” Barko said.
“But we really needed to determine how we can make the labels better help our business owners tell the brand story and the product story.”
That’s why before the first prototype was drawn, the company sent teams to meet with Amway Business Owners all over the world, with one overriding question: how were they using the packaging, and what do they need the packaging to accomplish?
“From markets worldwide, the biggest request that we received [from Amway Business Owners] was to communicate the quality of the products inside the package.” – Jennifer Barko, brand manager who led the label update project
“From markets worldwide, the biggest request that we received was to communicate the quality of the products inside the package,” Barko said.
The science of nutritional supplements is complex. The more information the labels provide in graphics and text, the better equipped Amway Business Owners are to assure their customers that Nutrilite™ products are of the highest quality.
The Nutrilite™ label redesign is making it easy by adding story-telling elements to the packaging. On the new labels:
- The Nutrilite™ name and logo are more prominently displayed across the top, just above a colorful picture of the key ingredients.
- The picture is accompanied by a hexagon graphic, representing how Nutrilite™ products combine the best of science and nature.
- Beneath the picture and hexagon, the specific product name appears in a new bold, black font.
- Across the bottom, the serving size and number of tablets in the bottle is clearly printed below an icon representing the key benefit.
- Each label also includes a “heritage badge,” signifying that Nutrilite™ products have been meeting rigorous quality standards since 1934.
Early in their research, the Amway team found that Amway Business Owners in China, due to limited space for storage, wrote the product name on the bottle cap. As a result, bottle-top stickers telling the product name, serving size and key benefit will be made available in many Amway markets.
Amway is rolling out the new labels in Japan, the United States, Canada and the Dominican Republic during 2015. In 2016, they will be introduced in Korea, China and the Southeast Asian markets. Over the next three years, the new labels will be on Nutrilite™ products in more than 90 percent of its markets, Barko said.